Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

The Porridge Looked So Good!

The sobs racked my whole body as I sat hopeless and incredibly heart-broken in my private place. Far away from the eyes of the world. 

I couldn't believe this had just happened to me! How? How?! How!!? 
And then like a flashbulb, it came to me, I remembered that fateful day many years ago. So long ago, I was surprised it came to memory. 

Could it be? Could my actions then be responsible for this great loss? "No, it couldn't be" I thought. How could I have been so foolish? Oh no how could I have been so unwise?
 
The thought made the tears flow even more as the reality of what a few minutes of pleasure years ago had just robbed me of - "my rightful inheritance, gone", I whispered to no one in sight as I let out a heart-wrenching cry. "My place, given up, oh why did I do that?!" The bitter tears stung my cheeks as I wept helplessly, knowing fully well that the tears couldn't bring the forfeited years back. 

I remember that day now very clearly. I had been hunting as usual, doing what I loved and what had become my profession. It was a long day and I had been so engrossed in my job that I didn't realise that the time had gone so far. It was on realising that I was the only hunter remaining that I hurriedly traced my steps back home. 

I was terribly famished and could eat a house at that moment. I rushed home in search of something to to sate my deep hunger and as I walked in, I saw my twin brother cooking a pot of porridge; the porridge looked so good!

I couldn't resist it - the aroma, the moistness of the food, the oil dripping with a promise of goodness and pleasure. My stomach rumbled involuntarily and I knew I just had to have it!

I called to him to give me a portion and he responded with a request for my birthright in exchange. At the time, he could have my manhood if he asked, all I needed right then was the satisfaction of the beauty I beheld in that pot. Without a second thought I traded it in... 

I traded it in.. I traded it in, I traded my inheritance, my place as the firstborn, my destiny for a miserable plate of food. A piece of meal that could only fill my hunger for a moment and not for ever.

Oh the regret! How could I have been so careless, so foolish, so unwise...

How I wish I could turn back the hands of time, waited a few minutes more, called one of the many servants we had to prepare a feast for me if I had chosen... But I chose a moment of pleasure over a lifetime inheritance. 

Esau
(You can read the full true story in Genesis 25:19-34, Genesis 27:32-37)

*******************************************

Will you be an Esau too? 

You and I have a great inheritance in God our father. We have choice blessings and promises that the death of Jesus Christ, the Son of God gives us access to when we accept Him as Lord and Saviour. However, daily we get offered the promise of quick pleasure, a compromise here and there, a short-cut to prosperity, quick, temporary wins. And we are indeed hungry, very hungry.

Will you give in to the need for immediate gratification at the expense of much greater things? 

It would be unfortunate to trade your destiny for a moment or period of pleasure. 

There's an inheritance and promise for you in Jesus that's far greater than any thing outside of Him that looks attractive right now. It's only a matter of time before you come into the fullness of God's plan and purpose for your life. Don't miss it. 

It's really up to you to decide, if you were in Esau's shoes, given the choice with the benefit of hindsight, would you take the porridge or refuse to trade in your birthright?

I want to invite you to make the best decision ever; a decision to make Jesus Lord and Saviour. To choose to refuse the seeming attraction living outside Christ presents for a more glorious promise in Him. 

If you are willing, please pray this prayer with me - 

"Lord Jesus, I want to thank you for dying for me on the cross. Thank you for paying the price for my sins. I come to you to please ask for mercy and that you forgive me and wash me clean from all my sins. Please be my Lord from today, give me a brand new start with you and help me to live a victorious and glorious life in you. Thank you for answering my prayer in Jesus name I pray". 

If you just prayed that prayer, Congratulations! Your best life just started!

************************************

Please email me, I'd love to hear from you - oneplustheone@gmail.com or get in touch on Twitter @1plustheone or Facebook www.facebook.com/1plustheone

Have a wonderful weekend people! xx


10 comments:

  1. Love the retell :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Ayo, you caught me on this one. I was already like abi ayo cooked porridge ni...lol!
    @akibo, love the retell too.

    May God help us all

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tommie, Amen! Thanks dear xx
    @Grace, lol.. I didn't cook oh, but Jacob cook one serious life-changing one :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really doubt he regretted it. The bible makes us understand that he DESPISED his birthright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey mami....not to derail buh I thought you actually cooked and I was looking forward to the recipe....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ilola, I believe he must have regretted it.. At the time he was hungry, he despised his birthright hence why he gave it up so quickly.. He probably did not understand the full weight of his actions.. See what happened when he learnt that Jacob had been blessed in his place - "And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry" (Gen 27:34a)
    Furthermore, he said this - "..For he hath supplanted me these two times: he took away my birthright; and, behold, now he taketh away my blessing." (Gen 27:36)
    I bet if given the opportunity again, he wouldn't let it go so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ernie, lol.. Sorry to disappoint you.. There are so many blogs that give amazing recipes though - you should check out the Wives Townhall (I think it's called).. Some serious cooking tips! Link is under my 'Blog Hall of Fame' on the right side of the blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Believe me, I had a million and one ideas in my head to be the conclusion of the story and trust me, none of them went towards to the story of Esau. Wow sis, well done and well done again. That was a beautifully told story. And a perfect conclusion as well. It shows that you really do love writing. And a lot of depth to it as well. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ayo the writer. I remember when I read the "Joseph" post about dreams coming through and how deeply it touched me.
    Its like you were right beside them or inside their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Funmi B, Amen.. Thanks a lot sis! Thank God for the grace.. I find these stories in the bible truly amazing! xx
    @Funmi, Amen @Writer lol.. Thanks a lot hun. Thank God you are blessed :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something :-)